2.13.2013

A New Spark

Here are some rockabilly artist caricatures I've been doing over the past few years. They were all just pencil sketches I had kind of abandoned since I didn't know what to do with them.
I recently received a complimentary note from a well-respected rock author which has inspired me to ink these guys a few at a time and post them up here. Rockabilly music has been a big part of my life since the mid 1980's when The Cramps opened up the doors to the wild side of life. Here are the first five.

Johnny Powers
born 1938
I first hear Johnny on the "Bop That Never Stopped" comps, which led to his Rollercoaster LP's. 'Long Blond Hair' from 1957 is still my favorite.

A signed 8 x 10 from about 1991 when Johnny gave me orders to "keep rockin'."

The mysterious Tommy Lam
I think everyone agrees 'Speed Limit' from 1959 is Tommy's best.

Gene Vincent
1935-1971
I'll never get tired of hearing 'Race With The Devil'. Gene kept on making good music on through the 60's and up until his death in 1971. 

A flier for the '58 Blue Caps reunion with Jerry Merritt. Buddy Knox [whose guarantee wasn't met] stayed on the tour bus for the San Diego show. 1996 

Malcolm Yelvington
1918-2001
Malcolm was a country musician playing rockabilly before it was called that. His unissued Sun track, 'Got Me A Trumpet' is another favorite of mine. 

Joe Clay
born 1939
Joe recorded nine rockin' sides for the Vik label in 1956. The unreleased, 'You Look That Good To Me" featuring guitarist, Mickey Baker is a real scorcher. I got to see Joe perform in San Diego in the late '90's.

No comments:

Post a Comment